Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Intel wants to turn PCs into wireless LAN accesspoints

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 08:39:04 -0400

From: Christopher K Davis <ckd () ckdhr com>
Date: 13 Apr 2002 08:11:13 -0400

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:17:35
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
Subject: Re: IP: more on  Intel wants to turn PCs into wireless LAN
  accesspoints

Mac bigots, because they are not technical, frequently get confused by
Apple's marketing hype.

This paragraph seems rather gratuitously insulting.  Some of us Mac fans
are in fact technical (why is OS X so popular at USENIX, otherwise?).

A Mac with an Airport *cannot* be a true 802.11 access point, because
the firmware in the Lucent chipset does not support being an access
point.  I won't belabor you with technical details, but being an
access point involves quite a few important functions of the 802.11
MAC layer (not Mac layer...), which dramatically enhance capacity.

This argument seems to be rather technically flawed, for one very simple
reason: the original Apple Airport base station is simply an embedded
486 machine with a PCMCIA slot containing a stock Lucent card.

This feature has been used to add Lucent external antennas (see
<http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Extender.html> for photos), and on at
least one occasion to acquire a Lucent WaveLAN Silver card when the
local stores were out of stock...as I did a few years back when I
needed a card at USENIX, and Fry's had plenty of base stations but
no separate Lucent cards.  (I kept the base station, since I wanted
one at home anyway.)

Many other access points use a similar architecture, where the base
station uses a PCMCIA slot to provide the wireless connectivity.

Either none of these are "true 802.11 access point[s]", or this argument
has a severe flaw.  I am willing to be convinced that they are
low-capacity SOHO access points, but after having used several of the
base stations, I find it hard to believe that they don't do everything I
would expect from a "true 802.11 access point" -- including bridging.

--
Christopher Davis * <ckd-sig () ckdhr com> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>

------ End of Forwarded Message