Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: : more on Intel wants to turn PCs into wireless LAN accesspoints

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:30:51 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:17:35
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
Subject: Re: IP: more on  Intel wants to turn PCs into wireless LAN
  accesspoints

Mac bigots, because they are not technical, frequently get confused by
Apple's marketing hype.

1. The PC world is full of 802.11 cards that can share an internet
connection using MS's ICS capability (Win 98, ME, XP all provide ICS).

What Intel is proposing is something that Airports on Macintoshes *don't*
do.  A Mac with an Airport *cannot* be a true 802.11 access point, because
the firmware in the Lucent chipset does not support being an access
point.  I won't belabor you with technical details, but being an access
point involves quite a few important functions of the 802.11 MAC layer (not
Mac layer...), which dramatically enhance capacity.

Also setting up two Macintoshes or PCs to share a single dialup internet
service is not something that requires Macintoshes.  A PC using ICS can
share its connection with iBooks, as well as PCs.  Macintoshes can share
their connection with PCs.  In all these cases, today, no one is an Access
Point.

What Intel is proposing is to let PCs run software that provides the *full*
802.11 MAC layer Access Point - the same thing that is provided by LinkSys,
Orinoco, Cisco, Compaq, 3Com, ... access point hardware boxes.   To do so,
they have to be able to download into their card a special version of the
MAC and radio firmware that the vendors have typically only licensed to
router vendors.

2. Mr. Cutler was probably violating hospital rules by setting up his
network.   Hospitals have, for good and not so good reasons, rules banning
use of radio transmitters in the hospital.   They interfere, for example,
with sensitive instruments.   If my son were in the ICU, I'd be nervous
about doing what they did.  And the kids in the next bed might care,
too.  Hopefully most medical equipment is immune to 2.4GHz radiation at
these levels, and I hope they are also immune to cell phones which
broadcast at significantly higher power, even when you aren't talking they
are bursting high power pulses occasionally to let the cell tower track them.

That the hospital personnel did not stop them doesn't prove the practice is
safe.

What we need now are much "smarter" radio systems that negotiate
cooperatively with their environment, to get permission to
transmit.  Something a small number of us have been thinking about....  and
lots better than hoping blindly that hospital rules and medical equipment
designers have good systems to manage radio "interference" (in quotes for
reasons I won't go into here).