Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: resend of Where have all the real hackers gone?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:42:33 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: tim finin <finin () cs umbc edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:40:47 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Where have all the real hackers gone?

Dave -- The announcement I sent earlier was missing the talk abstract,
which is included below.  It sounds like it will be a good talk.  tim
--
    Distinguished Lecture Series in Information Assurance
        Center for Information Security and Assurance

        WHERE HAVE ALL THE REAL HACKERS GONE?

              Thomas A. Longstaff, Ph.D.
          http://www.sei.cmu.edu/staff/tal/
        Manager, Survivable Network Technology
               CERT Coordination Center
          CMU Software Engineering Institute

            1:00pm Friday, April 12, 2002,
             215 Fine Arts, UMBC

Who are the real hackers today?  The good guys and the bad guys are
using insights into the technology to which they alone are privy.  Are
they truly gone, along with the early cowboy days of the ARPA-Net?
All of us have heard about the growing number of attacks in
cyber-space; we simply dismiss all of this activity as we dismiss
traveling along at 60 in a 55 mph zone.  So should this really put our
minds at ease that the major threats of the early days are gone?  Not
on your DSL-life!  The real hackers are still out there, hiding in the
noise of the multitudes.  Our real challenge over the next 10 years
will be to develop technologies and techniques to "see" these real
hackers and begin to put a stop to their free reign on our networked
systems.  To accomplish this, we will need to find and employ the true
and good hackers in our cyber-defense centers around the world.  Only
in doing so will we able to go beyond the simple application of known
techniques and create the new vision of information assurance.

Dr. Tom Longstaff is a senior member of the technical staff in the
Networked Systems Survivability (NSS) Program at the Software
Engineering Institute (SEI).  He is currently managing research and
development in network security for the NSS Program.  Publication
areas include information survivability, insider threat, intruder
modeling, and intrusion detection.  As a member of the CERT
Coordination Center (an incident handling team at the SEI), Tom has
daily access to the most up-to-date information on Internet security,
product vulnerabilities, and intruder profiles in existence.  Since
1997, Tom has been investigating topics related to information
survivability and critical national infrastructure protection.

Prior to coming to the Software Engineering Institute, Longstaff was
the technical director at the Computer Incident Advisory Capability
(CIAC) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore,
California. He completed a PhD in 1991 at the University of
California, Davis in software environments

Host: Dr. Alan T. Sherman (mailto:sherman () umbc edu) Director, UMBC
Center for Information Security and Assurance, http://cisa.umbc.edu.
Directions: http://cisa.umbc.edu/map/, park in metered spots in lot 10.

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: