Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Smoking voice mails

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:12:18 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Heather Hudson <hudson () usfca edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:49:35
To: dfarber () earthlink net
Subject: Smoking voice mails

Well, I'm usually a passive reader of material you send out, but I thought
this might be of interest. I've followed the HP merger story closely, not
only as a stockholder but as a friend of Walter Hewlett.

The current lawsuit alleges that HP offered a quid quo pro to get Deutsche
Bank Asset Management to change their shareholder votes to go against the
merger. This was apparently done the morning of the HP shareholders meeting
on March 19 while some of us were sitting in the Flint Center in Cupertino.
It does seem strange that the DB manager changed only some but not all of
his shareholder votes. If he'd really seen a different light, you would
think he would have changed the vote for all the shares he controlled.

The story of Carly Fiorina's phone call that suggests such an HP strategy
was in yesterday's Wall Street Journal and San Jose Mercury News. The
transcript of the phone call and the audio itself are at
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3032968.htm.
Does anyone know how the audio message itself was leaked?

Heather Hudson

Dr. Heather E. Hudson
Professor and Director
Telecommunications Management and Policy Program
School of Business and Management
University of San Francisco
Phone: 415-422-6642; Fax: 415-422-2502; E-mail: hudson () usfca edu

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/