Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DOJ and MS and what is best for all

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 17:14:40 -0400

If Declan is anywhere near right, they USG will be "regulating" MS as a
alternative to splitting. I have often said that, in my opinion, it would
be better for MS to split rather that be  micro-managed by the USG.  So we
may get to see if I am right.

I could see two companies aggressively pursuing innovation in what will be
a rapidly changing field unburdened by the legacy of their former business
model but free of the anti-trust action. IF the regulatory approach is
taken my bet is MS will be severely constrained in their behavior and will
spend a good deal of energy and people time in courts and challenges by
would be competitors.

Note I said it would be better for MS to split not that it would be best
for the rest of the industry. I really believe that but hay I don't own any
MS stock.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/