Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Getting the Facts Out - Announcing "FACT SQUAD"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:45:20 -0400

{ I am a member of the PFIR Board djf}

                Getting the Facts Out - Announcing "FACT SQUAD"

                               September 6, 2001

                    http://www.pfir.org/factsquad-announce

Greetings.  Immediately following the recent People For Internet
Responsibility "Future of the Internet" Workshop, technology columnist
Dan Gillmor reported on the event within his widely-read column.

He especially noted one of the key points of agreement at the meeting --
there's a serious need for coordinated information sources and experts to
counter the often skewed information provided by lobbyists and other vested
interests relating to technology issues.  As it stands, it's usually those
well-heeled interests who have successfully organized, for their own
betterment, to provide information about technical matters to media,
politicians, and many others.

Dan used the term "fact squad" to describe the need for a coordinated effort
to provide some balance in these matters.

PFIR has now set up a structure that we hope can provide assistance in
filling this fact gap.  We've created "Fact Squad" -- its home page,
which describes the project in more detail, is at:

   http://www.factsquad.org

Fact Squad is oriented specifically towards folks who need straightforward,
direct, and largely "jargon-free" information about these topics.  It is a
coordinated resource for media, researchers, or anyone else -- cutting
through the hype and getting to the facts.

Fact Squad by itself obviously cannot be the complete solution to the
long-festering and worsening problems of manipulated information and
propaganda relating to technical issues and their impact on society.
But we think it's potentially an important step in the right direction.

In addition to the Fact Squad home page listed above, three new contact
e-mail addresses have been established relating to this effort:

 - Questions or information about specific topics or issues:

      facts () factsquad org

 - General inquiries:

      general () factsquad org

 - Information about participating in Fact Squad:

      participate () factsquad org

We look forward to your questions, comments, and participation.

Thanks very much.

Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

Peter G. Neumann
neumann () pfir org or neumann () csl sri com or neumann () risks org
Tel: +1 (650) 859-2375
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Moderator, RISKS Forum - http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks
Chairman, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
http://www.csl.sri.com/neumann

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/