Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Reflections on the events of September 11 by Scott Simon, host of National Public Radio's Weekend Edition

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:06:46 -0400

http://www.ucc.org/911/092701b.htm

Reflections on the events of September 11

On September 25, 2001, Proclamation, Identity and Communication sponsored the 19th Annual Parker Lecture. Scott Simon, host of National Public Radio's Weekend Edition was the keynote speaker. Simon spent many hours covering the terrorist strike at the World Trade Center. We asked him to share his reflections. This is what he had to say.

I am grateful for the opportunity to speak with you at what is so clearly an urgent time. With your permission, I will depart from the line of remarks I had initially sketched out and address myself explicitly to these times.

I can certainly be expansive on the subject of broadcasting, and how we are—or are not—meeting our responsibilities. But those observations would now be small-minded. The fact is, during the recent weeks of crisis all major broadcasters—not only including, but specifically much-maligned commercial broadcasters—have met those responsibilities with professionalism and devotion. This week, they have only my admiration.

I suspect that what I have to say today about war and peace will not please a good many of you. I don't want you to feel compelled to offer courteous applause for remarks with which you may vigorously disagree. I am grateful for the chance just to be heard in this forum; that is as much courtesy as I can expect. So let me suggest that my remarks be received simply with silence. There is nothing good to be said about tragedy or terror. But miseries can distill a sense of utter clarity—remind us of whom we are; whom we love; and what is worth giving our lives for. When Jeremy Glick of Hewitt, New Jersey, called his wife, Lyzbeth, during the last moments of United Flight 93 he said:

"I love you. Don't be sad. Take care of our daughter. Whatever you do is okay with me"

The depth of his love compressed, and clear as a diamond.

Over the past ten days, the pain of loss and fear of terror may have caused many Americans to admit to themselves how much they really love their country. Love it not blindly, but with unblinking awareness.

<snip>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/