Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Digital Car

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:44:52 -0400

To: OpenDTV Mail List <openDTV () topica com>
From: Craig Birkmaier <craig () pcube com>

There has been a good deal of debate on the list about the role that video may play in mobile applications, especially private passenger vehicles. I found an electronic link to an interesting article on the digital car of the not so distant future in a print publication that I receive: Consumer Electronics Vision.

This may open a few eyes to the possibilities...

Regards
Craig

The Digital Car:

Shifting Into High Gear

September/October 2001

By Ron Schneiderman

Public safety officials and my mother-in-law are very concerned about how people can talk on their cellular phones and drive safely at the same time. What are they going to think when everyone on the road has e-mail and Internet access? Fortunately voice recognition systems are becoming ever more sophisticated to address these concerns, including accessing in-vehicle navigation systems that feature colorful electronic maps. These systems have personalized location-based services with advertisements for nearby stores and restaurants that give audible directions as well.

Add to that, 100 channel satellite radios, ceiling-mounted DVDs, MP3 changers and in-dash CD players capable of compressing hundreds of songs into a built-in memory package as well as in-car interactive video with downloadable games. Now imagine all of these products contained in one vehicle.

http://www.ce.org/vision_magazine/editions/2001/sepoct/p11.asp