Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: honorary consul

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:06:25 -0400

From: David Lesher <wb8foz () nrk com>
Subject: honorary consul
To: farber () cis upenn edu

> The diplomat was Yemen's "honorary consul" in San Francisco.
> (I'm not sure if honory consular people in Yemen are actually
> real diplomats from the home country or not).

FYI, if you care:

"Real" varies on how you define. An Honorary Consul is (basically,
and from memory) a non-govt employee awarded status by the visiting
power. Typically, it's a businessman living in the host country
[USA] already. The visiting power [Yemen] awards him consular
status to represent the country the same as a professional officer.

Note the Consul need NOT be a citizen of the visiting power!

Honorary Consuls are used where the host country can not afford to
send and support someone in the US. [Consider how expensive it is
for a country like Chad to keep someone in DC..] Larger countries
[Belgium, I've heard mention of..] may use such to have a presence
in other US locations than the mission [say Miami, or Chicago]
to encourage trade/commerce. They can offer connections, grease
wheels, maybe issue visas, etc. Some do far more work than others.

The Honorary Counsel gets little but prestige out of the deal;
party invitations, maybe a local tax exemption.  One traditional
perk was Dip. plates to beat parking tickets...

The most famous use was the small Balkan states ...absorbed... by
the USSR after WWII kept Honorary Consuls in place in the US for
all those years. When the USSR collapsed, they were in place,
already.

The "Real" question is are they on the official Dept. of State
Dip list kept by the Protocol Office. If so, there's no doubt
that detaining & handcuffing them is not just a violation but
also a real incident. INS officers should have phone numbers to
contact Dept. of State Op's center 24x7 if such comes up. Such
treatment as described speaks badly for how we treat visitors
to the US.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/