Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: [OpenDTV] Lessons for Broadcasters from the WTC/Pentagon Bombings

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:42:23 -0400

To: OpenDTV Mail List <openDTV () topica com>
From: John Willkie <jwillkie () digitalspotnews com>

Sender: For the last few weeks, I've been taking notes of what broadcasters should have learned, and I believe have learned from the terrorist bombings of the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Arlington, VA.

1.  Over the Air Broadcasting Rules!
Before the blasts at the WTC, WCBS-TV's evening news was usually trumped in the ratings by Spanish-language news casts. After the blast, as they were for a while the only VHF station broadcasting in the market (at standby facilities) their ratings "skyrocketed." Even in a highly cabled market like NYC, with cable customers having access to the same signals as usual, OTA made the difference. Sure, many of these viewers were variable and many would soon dry up. But, considering the multitude of signal sources on cable (news 12, NY1, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, FNC, etc) covering the crisis, CBS's massive ratings jump must be a grim milestone for broadcasters to ponder at the verge of a commercial DTV transition.

2.  Multicasting Works
The Viacom model, right after the blast, was to plaster CBS News content over all of their available channels, including UPN, CMTV, VH-1, MTV, etc. With no increase in information. To a certain extent, this was the model followed by ABC vis a vis ESPN, and Fox with their multiple channels. Call it mimeo broadcasting. Maybe it made sense, as nobody was watching anything else.

For a day or so after the blast, this largely was the model followed by GE. Then, in the second day after the blast, they changed course: Tom Brokaw was on the NBC feed, while CNBC and MSNBC used their own anchors, and some of the reporters from NBC, for their own specialized or additional coverage. I'm not sure what MSNBC's model really is (tech news? taking MS money?) but these three networks provided complimentary coverage that largely was not available elsewhere. And, they used the crisis to exert individual identities of their channels. Now, if they only had an operation for acquiring and understanding news from outside the borders of the USA ...

3.. Single Stick Broadcasting Saves Money (most of the time)
We've heard on this list and elsewhere that the big stick model of US broadcasting is dead, and proponents say that it works in the US and saves money over the way others do it. I believe that the current situation will prove otherwise. Contemplate what CBS's giant ratings boost will do for them when there is a future similar crisis. Contemplate how much money was saved over the last 30 years since WTC stations went on-line (by not keeping back up facilities.) Then, calculate how much money the stations will lose in money (not to calculate prestige) in the next three or four (or more years) because of using minimal facilities. My seat of the pants synopsis is that they lost much more in money than they saved. Of course, if advertising rates to to 1970 levels ...

Then, try to figure out where stations will broadcast from, if as appears to be the current sentiment, if the WTC is not rebuilt. One of the many advantages of the WTC was the tremendous reach of the stations (more than 100 miles in my experience) and the single location of the VHF's in the market, easing tuning problems.

Also, since the topic is DTV, contemplate using a dozen or more locations for the existing NYC tv stations to broadcast DTV signals. Perhaps the single stick model is dead.

4. Every station that presents news needs a backup transmitter site. Cartoons -- and stations that are off the air -- are irrelevant in a crisis. Will the future have more such events than the past 30 years, or fewer?

5.  Acqiescing to Government Programs is no guarantee of Commercial Success.
On September 11, 2001, at least 19 persons were able to take over four US commercial jet liners, despite the institution of FAA-mandated screening programs at all airports. The airlines did "everything they were required to do by law" and yet guys armed with box cutters were able to take over jets and crash them into two buildings. American Airlines was insured for $1.5 billion per building; they are essentially bankrupt as the damages for the WTC is right now estimated to be $18 billion, and AA does not have $15 billion in the bank. United Airlines had similar coverage, yet not enough to cover the crash at the Pentagon. (Flying planes create significant -- and until recently -- unrealized exposure.)

These two companies will only be able to survive -- if at all -- if they are granted some form of drastic relief by the government. When that comes up, ALL ASPECTS OF THE AIRLINES' BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL PRACTICES will be up for grabs. (Nice touch, AA, furlougihing 20,000 employees and after the bill was signed by the president to put $800 million into your coffers, telling the furloughed employees that there would be no severance pay. That will cost you in the long run, but I suspect you're not engaged in the long run at this time.)

The ATSC transmission system, you might recall, was mandated by the government. It is not hard to imagine that the future of TV broadcasting in the US will, at some point in the future, be subjected to the same political process. (Who remembers the NAB/MSTV "vote" and still thinks it was taking the long-range view?)

6. Very few local stations can be trusted to not step over important national coverage for local foolishness. Here in San Diego, KFMB-TV 8 stepped all over the ever-present CBS coverage to present the local angle. (Which, for all practical purposes, amounted to nil.) As a result, I've now stopped watching their news for the rest of my life. McGraw-Hill's KGTV/10/ABC, on the other hand, had a cable news channel on the Cox cable system. Until Friday evening, they never interrupted ABC's stellar coverage, except once an hour with a :10 (I'm sure this only appeared on sets attached to cable) saying "For local news on the terrorist bombings, please tune to cable channel 15.") I don't know that the cable channel carried spots, the local angle never attracted me.

7. This is related to the OTA rules point, but it's something to contemplate in the cable, NTSC and ATSC world. Cable subscribers are essentailly a fixed part of your audience. Each cable subscriber has a wide panopoly of programming sources. OTA viewers, without the monthly committment, are more variable group, with a much more limited selection of options.

John Willkie

P.S. Suggestion for broadcasters who feel the need for all their digital signals being carried on cable. The next time there's a crisis meriting saturation coverage, put all the crisis coverage on of your DTV virtual channels that is not carried by cable. Run the same old programming on the main (cable carried) channel. Run a crawl saying: your cable company has declined to carry our crisis coverage because they want to limit the information available to you. For more information, call Joe Cable on XXX-XXXX. "Impossible" carriage will be arranged within 30 minutes, I bet.