Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Lots of people don't "get it" -- Crusade

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:00:01 -0400

From: Norman MacLeod <gaelwolf () waypt com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave --

The use of the word "crusade" was indeed unfortunate, though perhaps not as unexpected as we could hope. The level of ignorance in the United Sates concerning the faith of Islam is a tremendous barrier in dealing with the situation we have on our hands today. It's not much better in most other developed western nations, either.

The fact that the content of our schools' geography, social studies, and history classes is far too light whenever a topic touches religion in any way also isn't particularly helpful.

I agree that there is a very real and pressing need for a group of Islamic scholars to be acting as Administration consultants. Hopefully that's part of what the Cabinet is pulling together for the coming struggle. They are going to need to listed to those voices as they shape policy, and listen carefully.

As to politicians realizing that their words are all over the world seconds after they emerge from their mouths, I'm not holding my breath. People look at you funny when you're blue...

My firm recently reviewed all of the official web sites made available by the members of the U.S. House of Representatives. Our impression, based on the quality, content and design of the sites indicates that precious few of these people understand the Internet as a communications medium. While that might be expected, what we were most concerned about is that so few of them evidently have anyone on their staff who "get it", either. Not a particularly comforting thought, particularly when you consider that their staff people are hired for their political communications "expertise"!

   Norman MacLeod

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/