Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: What Does "Nail the Bastards" Teach Children?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:53:27 -0400

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:45:04 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Martha Baer <martha () wiredmag com>
Subject: Fwd: What Does "Nail the Bastards" Teach Children?

dave, if you think this relevant for IPers... thx.

From: Eerofes () aol com
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:35:52 EDT
Subject: What Does "Nail the Bastards" Teach Children?
To: Eerofes () aol com

[If you find this useful, I'd appreciate your passing it on--especially to
educators, parents, and editors of publications focused on education. Thanks! --eric rofes]

What Are We Teaching Children Through Our Response to Terrorism?

or

What Does "Nail the Bastards" Teach Children?

By Eric Rofes

    In the aftermath of last week's terrorist attacks on the World Trade
Center and the Pentagon, the effects on children have never been far from
people's minds.  We all ponder how this deep grief at voluminous death,
terrible destruction, and the loss of our individual and collective sense of
secuirty is experienced by children.  We've seen photographs of children who
died on airplanes traveling home from family vacations. We've pondered the
ways in which this catastrophe might transform forever young people who have
lived their entire lives under an assumption of safety.  And we've grappled
with the proper responses of parents and teachers to the anxious questions of
young children.

    But what are we teaching our children through our nation's response to
terrorism?

The rush to retaliation--whether one finds such a response appropriate or
inappropriate, and whether retaliatory efforts in the long run are effective
at restoring security to the nation or are not--encourages children to adopt
and "eye for an eye" strategy when dealing with conflict.  A nation, under
powerful assault, unifies behind a president vowing to wage war against the
enemy.  At least for the few days following the terrorism on the East Coast,
words like "revenge," "retribution," and "vengeance" shifted in our national
vocabulary and became word of pride, power, and glory.
    I recently observed a third-grade teacher talking with a student who'd
responded to a playground bully by fighting back.  The boy sat in his chair
as recess was ending, arms folded tightly, lips locked, as the teacher tried
a variety of tactics to convince him that one punch did not deserve another. The teacher, having exhausted all of her arguments, asked the boy which of
the alternatives that she had presented he would choose next time.   The boy,
arms still clenched, looked up at the teacher and replied, "None--my dad told
me that, if anyone punches me, I have every right to punch him back."

    As a nation, we've spent the past five years, trying to make sense of
young people, mostly boys, who--after experiencing years of ostracism and
persecution by classmates--bring weapons to school.  They aim guns at both
persecutors and others who joined in, quietly snickered, or simply stood
silently by, while they suffered at the hands of their peers.  The treat the
bully, again usually male, and those who harbored him equally.  These boys
felt anger, it simmered into rage, then erupted into a vengeful act of
retaliation.   They strike out, not irrationally as many would like to
believe, but, strategically, and under the influence of a cold fury, that
blinds them to the realization that their enemies have succeeded in
transforming them into a monster that is a mirror image of themselves.
    This is the ultimate mission of both the bully and the terrorist:  to
undermine our sense of civility and reverse our long-held values.  They
declare victory, not only when they wreak havoc on our lives and our
security, but also when they force us to remake ourselves in their own image.

    If the nation is committed to rooting out terrorism in the world and is
prepared to wage war to do so,  it is best articulated  to children as
neither retaliation nor as a way of proving ourselves.  We should be cautious
of tying national identity--and manhood--to who wins in this boxing ring.  If
our nation must move to war, let us be clear about the reasons:  our leaders'
belief that we will be able to, in the words of President Bush, "rid the
world of evil," only by the use of violence.   But let us take neither glee
nor pride in such grim actions.
Eric Rofes is a professor of education at Humboldt State University in
Arcata, CA and a former sixth-grade teacher.

--

[NB: Wired's domain name has changed. In the future, please do not email me at martha () wired com; use instead martha () wiredmag com. Thanks.]

Martha Baer
Senior Editor, Wired
520 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94107