Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: I AGREE !! CNN attacks Networks on International News Coverage

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:58:36 -0400

To: OpenDTV Mail List <openDTV () topica com>
From: Craig Birkmaier <craig () pcube com>

For analysis of various viewpoints, in principle you could go a long way
with broadcast, as long as multiple channels are made available. No
reason why (perhaps narrow) streams could not be provided from the BBC
and other broadcasters. If the data is in the form of streaming media,
this would work very well.

Apparently CNN feels that the broadcast networks dropped the ball on international coverage, as reported by the New York Post via Shoptalk.

Regards
Craig

A top CNN executive has launched a searing attack on the
major U.S. television networks, accusing them of failing to
give adequate coverage to foreign news.
In an op-ed piece in the French newspaper Le Monde, CNN
International Networks president Chris Cramer said this
failure is hampering Americans' ability to understand the
deadly terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon.
Cramer says the vast majority of U.S. news media are guilty
of "committing the worst crime in journalism: the failure
to make interesting what is important."
He argues that the belief among editors that the American
public is not interested in foreign news has led to a self-
fulfilling prophecy. "If we don't cover international news,
there's little chance of the audience being interested in
it," he says.
The CNN exec says the American news diet consists chiefly
of local news, baseball results, the weather and weekly
lottery winners.
"Many news executives think the lack of interest in foreign
news is shown by the fact that less than 20 percent of
Americans have a passport," he says. (ANDY GELLER - NY
Post)