Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Real are holding their 5th annual conference next week in Seattle (Sept 24-25th) and it is going online also

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:35:51 -0400

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 20:17:36 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Rob Glaser <robg () real com>
Subject: Favor

Dave -- hope all is well with you in these extraordinary times.

Your coverage of the terrorist situation has been terrific and a great addition/counterpoint to the traditional media.

When the tragedy struck on 9-11, it struck close to home. As you probably remember, I'm a native New Yorker and we still maintain a residence in Manhattan. In fact, I was in DC having just flown down from New York about 15 hours before the attack, and my wife was still in New York. Fortunately we are fine, as is everyone in our families and at Real.

I'm writing to ask a favor of you. As you may know, we at Real are holding our 5th annual conference next week in Seattle (Sept 24-25th). We scheduled our conference many months ago, as one typically does.

When the terrorists struck last week, we stepped back and thought hard about the best way to respond. We concluded that cancelling the conference would give the terrorists just what they want. Instead, we decided to focus on how our technology can be used to help people communicate during these difficult times when people fear the real or perceived risks associated with physical travel.

Accordingly, we decided to turn our physical conference into a combination physical and on-line conference. It will be the most virtual and wired conference anyone's ever done -- we're webcasting everything live, we're enabling interactivity over the web for every session, and we'll be bringing in speakers from all over the country via videoconference and satellite. It will be a very cool and, I believe, groundbreaking event.

We sent the word out yesterday to our base of thousands of partners worldwide, and the initial response has been terrific. Having said that, because we made this announcement less than a week in advance of the conference, we're scrambling to reach out to those who value the role that the net can play in enhancing communication and speech.

I'm writing to ask your help in getting out the word to IPers. To learn more, all they have to do is go to: http://www.realnetworks.com/rconline/index.html

One final note: as a small gesture of our gratitude to the brave men and women who gave up their lives last Tuesday, for everyone who signs up for the on-line conference, we're donating $25 to the NY Firefighters Fund. In addition to the obvious reasons, this choice also has personal resonance. My mother's brother served in the Oakland fire department for over 40 years. Moreover, a good friend of ours is a NYC firefighter who got to the scene just moments after the tragic collapse of the first tower. He lost most of his company.

Thanks for any support you and your readers can provide.

Best,

Rob

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/