Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: What you see on CNN is not what you thought -- BBC on CNN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:12:36 -0400

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:54:11 -0400
From: Eric Rosenthal <eric () creative-technology net>

There's an important point in the power of press, specifically the power of
CNN.  All around the world we are subjected to 3 or 4 huge news distributors,
and one of them - as you well know - is CNN.

Very well, I guess all of you have been seeing (just as I've been) images
from this company. In Particular, one set of images caught my attention: the
Palestinians celebrating the bombing, out on the streets, eating celebration
sweets and making funny faces for the camera.

Well, THOSE IMAGES WERE SHOT BACK IN 1991!!! Those are images of Palestinians
celebrating the invasion of Kuwait! t's simply unacceptable that a
super-power of communications as CNN uses images which do not correspond to
the reality in talking about so serious of an issue.

At the BBC here, we have these footages on videotapes recorded in 1991,

with the very same images. But now, think for a moment about the impact of
such images. Your people are  hurt, emotionally fragile, and this kind of
broadcast has very

high possiblity of causing waves of anger and rage against the Palestinians.

It's simply irresponsible to show images such as those.

Russell Grossman | Head of Internal Communication  | BBC

Third Floor | London Broadcasting House | LONDON  W1A 1AA

--

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/