Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The new reality of air travel

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 19:10:52 -0400

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: The new reality of air travel

For IP:

United Airlines: First Impressions after a disaster

After waiting several days for the direct Atlanta to San Francisco flight
to NOT get canceled, I managed to get on a United flight to Chicago (ORD)
followed by another to San Francisco. The following are my notes on the
"new reality" of air travel.

Arrive at 4:45am at ATL. The checkin line at United already has about 150
people for the coach, but only about 6 for first class. We all wait until
5am until United decides to open the counters. There are tables set up
next to the check-in counters and random searches of luggage is being
performed. One in ten, or perhaps less of the checked-in passengers have
their bags checked on the tables.

I accidentally join another long line for American Airlines check-in,
thinking it is for the security check-points, but realize my mistake after
a minute or two. The security screening is the same as it always has been
with two exceptions: you have to show your boarding pass and an officer
from the US Customs Service is watching. I am (as always) underwhelmed by
their attention to detail, expecting at least to be asked "what is in your
bag". (Earlier in the week I shipped anything resembling a knife home). I
make my way to the gate which is near the United Red Carpet Club which
United has very helpfully "closed until further notice". It is not 5:30am.
I stand in line for another 15 minutes to get coffee at Starbucks. The
flight turns out to be full of United flight attendants and pilots, and I
notice that even they get asked the usual security questions.

Flight to ORD is uneventful. On arrival at Chicago, I see flags everywhere
including a long row of large ones at half-staff on the entranceways to
the airport. The police presence is noticeable. The number of people and
planes is noticeably reduced. United claims they are running at 40% of
normal traffic today, and that they will be back to 80% by Thursday.

We wait about 45 minutes beyond the announced boarding time, when they
finally assemble all 16 flight attendants who board. But before they can
board, each and every one has to punch in their code and watch the door
lock go green. (A manager is carefully watching this).

Once on the plane, things are pretty normal except for 4 things:

- The meal carts have passed through security and have stickers on them
  just like your suitcase would.

- The knife on the meal tray has been replaced by one made out of NYLON,
  that's right, it is so flexible you can wrap it round your wrist. Never
  mind that there are still TWO stainless steel forks on the tray.

- An announcement is made that "unusual comments" will not be appreciated
  (this is obviously not a good time to make jokes).

- Although the plane is only 1/2 full: "All passengers MUST remain in
  their originally assigned seat." This is apparently the new policy.

We arrive in San Francisco about an hour late. It's good to be home!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal