Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Getting a grip on encryption realities

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:31:34 -0400

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 17:20:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Getting a grip on encryption realities
Cc: lauren () pfir org

It may be time to pause for another dose of reality.  With calls from
various quarters rising for various encryption bans, let's put aside
most issues relating to the undesirability of such moves for a moment
and just look at the matter of practicality.

Anyone who wants to encrypt their materials with strong encryption has the
technical ability to do so.  No laws or regulations can put that genie,
particularly in terms of software-based systems, back into the bottle.
Terrorists are unlikely in the extreme to heed such prohibitions in any
case.

To make matters even more complex, it's possible to obscure heavily-encoded
messages in seemingly innocuous ways.  Only the imagination really limits
the possibilities.  Highly-encrypted messages can be spread out through
photographs, computer images, faxes, audio files, plain text, and any number
of other media.  Ostensibly ordinary files, documents, or statements can
contain all manner of encoded data, with the data itself encrypted via any
mechanisms up to and including one-time pads.

Let's be clear about this.  Degrading the strength of communications between
honest citizens will not prevent disasters like Tuesday's, but will make
those honest citizens less secure.  Yet the calls for banning strong
encryption take no heed of any of these realities.  Obviously we must fight
terrorism, but weak or "back-door-enabled" crypto systems carry a *very*
high risk of being rendered ineffectual, resulting in highly sensitive and
private--but completely legal--communications being exposed.  Unfortunately,
in the understandable fervor of the moment, many aspects of technical facts
and common sense are being plowed under the tank treads of emotion.

Realistically, if we are to fight terrorism without destroying ourselves
piece by piece, we need to above all be thinking clearly.  How we handle the
encryption debate may be a harbinger of whether or not we deal rationally
with a broad range of other crucial issues in the aftermath of terrorism.

Any way you look at it, we stand at a crossroads, not just relating to
terrorism but for ourselves as well.  Notwithstanding wars and disasters of
the past, the decisions we make now are among the most crucial we'll ever
face.  Doing the right thing speaks not only to today and tomorrow, but to
history as well.

--Lauren--

P.S.  I mentioned above how ordinary-looking materials could obscure hidden
messages.  The text above used an example of an *extremely* trivial
technique to encode (not even really encrypt) the plain text title of a
famous Beatles song--one character per sentence.  Did you notice it?  Now
that you know it's there, you probably can find it.  But what if the title
had been encrypted instead of merely encoded in plain text?

Trying to control encryption systems is now a pointless--and even
dangerous--exercise in technological futility, diverting attention and
resources from efforts that might truly have practical benefits towards
fighting terrorism, crime, and other scourges on society.  Like it or not,
that's the reality.  The sooner this fact is accepted the better off we'll
all be.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
"Reality Reset" Columns - http://www.vortex.com/reality

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/