Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "hanks for your effort!"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 08:05:49 -0400

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:48:48 +0200
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steven Carlson <steve () noweurope com>
Subject: Thanks for your effort!

Dave,

I've appreciated all the info you've distributed during this
crisis. You, Dave Winer, and Phil Agre have been key info sources
for me.

I'm a US citizen living in Budapest, Hungary. I'm a board member
at First Tuesday, and serve as internal moderator for the city
leader network. I run the Budapest chapter. I also run a
discussion forum, and newsletter, called nowEurope:
I often redistribute your stuff to my readers (with credit).

http://noweurope.com

I have an important question to ask you, which you may want to
answer to the group, at large: What's the mood over there? What's
the buzz on the streets, among people you know, colleagues,
family and friends?

The word I keep hearing is solidarity.

Like most of us, I've been dealing with a range of emotions as I
struggle to assimilate what has happened. It's a roller coaster
that we're all riding.

As a student of US foreign policy, I'm inclined to be cynical and
perhaps even bitter. I still think there's a very real threat the
current administration will blunder into something Stupid and
Tragic. It wouldn't be the first time. It might be the last.

To even the most casual observer it should be obvious that US
policy had hand creating this scenario. What CNN doesn't discuss
(but the BBC does!): Osama bin Laden is a creation of US policy.
We trained him, supported him, and pointed him at the Soviets.

My parents don't understand these issues; We discussed all this
on the phone, yesterday. They see "America" (I'm always skeptical
about how this word is used!) as a Moral Force in the world: the
Reluctant Global Policeman. Somebody has to stand up for right
and wrong. Nobody but the US in such a position to do so.

I find myself agreeing.

But I hesitate. I feel in myself that internal conflict between
Isolationalist and Global Policeman. Do we have the right? If we
don't, who else will? Any decision to intervene should not be
made lightly; in the heat of passion, or to score a cheap victory.

That's why I'm concerned about the collective mood over there.
The aggressive stance at CNN disturbs me (America's New War!).
And yet my parents tell me the coverage at Fox has been moderate.
They tell me people are coming together, soberly; that the
attitude is solidarity, commiseration and compassion.

I certainly hope so.

Steve

PS - Feel free to redistribute these commments, if you find that
     appropriate. And thanks again!

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/