Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Read it and be real worried -- [And we need a missile shield !! ]-- Pentagon Tracked Deadly Jet but Found No Way to Stop It

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:29:06 -0400

As I said -- all sides djf

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:24:02 -0700
From: Norman MacLeod <gaelwolf () waypt com>

Dave --

There are several factors at work here that you have to consider when you are wondering why the Air Force didn't manage to shoot down any of the airliners.

First, and perhaps foremost, there is no track record of terrorists crashing hijacked airplanes full of people into major American buildings. Where explosives meet buildings, it has generally been through a vehicle bomb, a walking suicide bomber, or a package either mailed or left behind.

(In the absence of a precedent, what do you think the media would be saying today if the Air Force had managed to correctly deduce what the hijackers were going to do and managed to shoot down all four of these airplanes before they got anywhere close to their targets?)

Second, there are some highly restrictive legal restraints on our military taking part in civil crimes...which is how terrorist acts have been handled in the United States.

Now, on to particulars...

There are no fighter aircraft stationed at Andrews AFB. It's standing squadrons are transport aircraft of various types. The fighters that were trying to get to DC came from Langley AFB, about 150 miles away. The fighters headed for New York were coming from Massachusetts, about 70 miles away. In both cases, they were chasing aircraft going away from them at high speed.

As a result of our previous Administration being convinced that, since the Cold War was over, there was no need to keep fighters on alert, cocked and ready, the Air Force was long ago ordered to stand down from alert status. It takes time to generate a combat-loaded aircraft when you've been ordered not to keep any ready...and I'm frankly surprised that they were able to get combat-loaded jets in the air as quickly as they did.

I presume that's been changed already.

You wonder what would have happened if it had been a Russian bomber coming in...there's a simple answer. It would have been intercepted and escorted away from our airspace, as happens on a more irregular basis than it did during the cold war, but happens nonetheless.

The Chain of Command was not fouled up. The Chain of Command had its hands securely tied up by the Clinton Administration. That's one of the reasons so many of us retired from the military during the previous Administration.

It's particular galling that the New York Times and some other media outlets are second-guessing what was happening in the Pentagon's command center in the hour before AA 77 was flown into the building. Their reporters were not there. Whatever the inefficiencies were in place as the result of the legally required civilian-military spheres of control, our nation could do with a little less public Monday morning quarterbacking right now. One of the primary keys to preventing future terrorist acts is to present a unified face that demonstrates a lack of success in terms of generating long-term disunity and ineffectiveness in generating a response.

Norman MacLeod

David Farber wrote:

One hour and they could not get a jet fighter there I assume from Andrews I could drive it in less time.. Wonder what would have happened if it had been a old USSR bomber coming in. Sounds like not contingency plans at all and fouled up chain of command.

Dave

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/15/national/15CONT.html

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 -- During the hour or so that American Airlines Flight 77 was under the control of hijackers, up to the moment it struck the west side of the Pentagon, military officials in a command center on the east side of the building were urgently talking to law enforcement and air traffic control officials about what to do.

But despite elaborate plans that link civilian and military efforts to control the nation's airspace in defense of the country, and despite two other jetliners' having already hit the World Trade Center in New York, the fighter planes that scrambled into protective orbits around Washington did not arrive until 15 minutes after Flight 77 hit the Pentagon. Even if they had been there sooner, it is not clear what they would have done to thwart the attack.

<snip>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/

--

                ==========================

                  GAELIC WOLF CONSULTING
                 http://www.gaelwolf.com/

     Internet presence strategy, design and marketing

                 Visit the Earthquake Rose at:
                http://www.earthquakerose.com/

             See our welcoming newsletter at:
      http://www.gaelwolf.com/newsletter_welcome.html

    Home of the Gaelic Wolf Scouting Pages, published
  as a courtesy to the international Scouting community
             http://www.gaelwolf.com/gaelwolf/

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/