Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: excerpt from transcript of The National, CBC-TV, Sept 11, 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:02:59 -0400

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:22:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: excerpt from transcript of The National, CBC-TV, Sept 11, 2001

MANSBRIDGE: Well on a day when the world seems very confusing, we
count on one person to help bring a certain clarity. Here's Rex
Murphy with is point of view.

REX MURPHY: What started this morning at 8:45 New York time, on
the first highjacked airplane, passengers on board was rammed into
the first World Trade Tower, was the terrorist's 21st century
version of Pearl Harbour. What we saw and what we've been seeing
all day from the heart of New York and the power centre of Washington
is a scene of deliberate carnage on a scale and visited with a
suddenness that has produced an epidemic sense of shock all over
North America. It wasn't just planes which were highjacked this
morning, it was the idea that North America was a closed protected
space was exempt from the dirty forces and staggering pain of
present day history. We should pay some attention to the dreadfully
perfect symbolism of the targets. The great towers of the World
Trade Centre in the very heart of the financial capital of America
and the Pentagon itself, the symbol of power in the capital of
power.  The terrorist wanted to do much more than reign death on
thousands of innocent ordinary people. They designed a series of
actions as carefully as any playwright to carry an unequivocal
message, through these symbols that their enemy is America, its
system, its wealth, and its power. And to carry the further message
that the hatred of America in their eyes is so utter and perfect
that any manner of deed and any number of deaths have their demented
justification.  Today's horrors had the added horror that they were
contemplated a deeply thought about end.  They were designed and
in that as well as in the nature of their targets, they were the
terrorist equivalent of a declaration of war. These acts were new
and singular. They were meant to establish a new threshold.  They
have brutally expanded the boundaries of what we must now, as part
of our every day psychology consider possible.  It was a serving
of notice to this side of the world that this side of the world is
no longer show master or spectator, that the brutalities and
incitements and rancours of northern Ireland to Kosovo, from the
middle east to Afghanistan, the stuff of our TV screens which always
take place over there now have, in the rubble, blood and dust of
downtown New York, a first world local address.  The curtain of
our North American exemption from the actuality of the world's
darker turnings has been breached in the first year of a new century.
The truth of this could be seen even on the streets of Toronto and
I'm sure every major Canadian city.  I say even because in this
country we sometimes think next to the U.S.  that we are spectators
too, not actors.  But here too, the violence today had its impact.
People were absorbed and anxious in a manner I have not seen during
any other time.  Who was responsible? What the U.S.  will do in
retaliation, for retaliation there will be? Whether today was a
complete event or the beginning of some even larger one, these are
the awful particulars that each passing hour will ripen.  What is
already complete is a change in the equation and the psychological
and conventional assumptions under which we, here in the west, have
carried out our business and gone about our lives.  We won't be
talking about Gary Condit or the seating plan of the Alliance with
quite the same fervor from here on in.  We are no longer exempt
from the madness and evil of our always unhappily, sometimes fanatic
planet.  September 11th, 2001, terrorism has gone global.  For The
National, I'm Rex Murphy.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/