Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Harry Browne on attacks: A response to "insane" foreign policy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:34:54 -0400

Please don't yell at me djf

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:13:54 -0400
To: politech () politechbot com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Harry Browne article on attacks
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:50:06 -0700
From: Eric Garris <egarris () antiwar com>

I am very happy to say that Harry Browne has submitted an article to
Antiwar.com on the terror attacks.

We will be running it tomorrow, but I have already sent it out to our
news
service and syndication subscribers.
http://www.antiwar.com/orig/browne2.html

                            When Will We Learn?
                              by Harry Browne
                             September 12, 2001

   The terrorist attacks against America comprise a horrible tragedy. But
   they shouldn't be a surprise.

   It is well known that in war, the first casualty is truth - that
   during any war truth is forsaken for propaganda. But sanity was a
   prior casualty: it was the loss of sanity that led to war in the first
   place.

   Our foreign policy has been insane for decades. It was only a matter
   of time until Americans would have to suffer personally for it. It is
   a terrible tragedy of life that the innocent so often have to suffer
   for the sins of the guilty.

   When will we learn that we can't allow our politicians to bully the
   world without someone bullying back eventually?

   President Bush has authorized continued bombing of innocent people in
   Iraq. President Clinton bombed innocent people in the Sudan,
   Afghanistan, Iraq, and Serbia. President Bush Senior invaded Iraq and
   Panama. President Reagan bombed innocent people in Libya and invaded
   Grenada. And on and on it goes.

   Did we think the people who lost their families and friends and
   property in all that destruction would love America for what happened?

   When will we learn that violence always begets violence?

Teaching Lessons

   Supposedly, Reagan bombed Libya to teach Muammar al-Qaddafi a lesson
   about terrorism. But shortly thereafter a TWA plane was destroyed over
   Scotland, and our government is convinced it was Libyans who did it.

   When will we learn that "teaching someone a lesson" never teaches
   anything but resentment - that it only inspires the recipient to
   greater acts of defiance.

   How many times on Tuesday did we hear someone describe the terrorist
   attacks as "cowardly acts"? But as misguided and despicable as they
   were, they were anything but cowardly. The people who committed them
   knowingly gave their lives for whatever stupid beliefs they held.

   But what about the American presidents who order bombings of innocent
   people - while the presidents remain completely insulated from any
   danger? What would you call their acts?

   When will we learn that forsaking truth and reason in the heat of
   battle almost always assures that we will lose the battle?

Losing our Last Freedoms

   And now, as sure as night follows day, we will be told we must give up
   more of our freedoms to avenge what never should have happened in the
   first place.

   When will we learn that it makes no sense to give up our freedoms in
   the name of freedom?

What to Do

   What should be done?

   First of all, stop the hysteria. Stand back and ask how this could
   have happened. Ask how a prosperous country isolated by two oceans
   could have so embroiled itself in other people's business that someone
   would want to do us harm. Even sitting in the middle of Europe,
   Switzerland isn't beset by terrorist attacks, because the Swiss mind
   their own business.

   Second, resolve that we won't let our leaders use this occasion to
   commit their own terrorist acts upon more innocent people, foreign and
   domestic, that will inspire more terrorist attacks in the future.

   Third, find a way, with enforceable constitutional limits, to prevent
   our leaders from ever again provoking this kind of anger against
   America.

Patriotism?

   There are those who will say this article is unpatriotic and
   un-American - that this is not a time to question our country or our
   leaders.

   When will we learn that without freedom and sanity, there is no reason
   to be patriotic?

   Harry Browne was the 2000 Libertarian presidential candidate. You can
   read more of his articles at www.HarryBrowne.org, and his books are
   available at www.HBBooks.com.

*********