Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re -- the warmth, generosity, and quiet support our good neighbors in Canada have provided to us, not only in recent weeks, but over the long haul.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 18:15:54 -0400

Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 18:08:54 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org>

Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 12:36:10 -0500
To: dave () farber net
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>

This is the first story I have seen along these lines.

I think it behooves all of us to recognize the warmth, generosity, and quiet support our good neighbors in Canada have provided to us, not only in recent weeks, but over the long haul.

Dave,

I work in Manhattan and live in New Jersey, each day taking an express bus to and from a park-and-ride and the Port Authority. Usually I work on my laptop (often catching up on too many mailing lists). Since 11 September, though, the person sitting next to me often wants to talk. Last night (a Friday) was one of those times. My correspondent, Mike, was an Irish-born construction worker, a 20-year resident of New York. He was working in building 4 the morning of the 11th. (Over 50 members of his local were lost, he said.) Like many New Yorkers, he had his own small tale to offer, including watching WTC 2 be hit while standing next to a woman who, disregarding the fire marshalls, she told him, had fled from the 101st floor just minutes earlier when the first plane hit building 1.

Stacked end to end the edifice of New York stories would dwarf the towers themselves. I write, though, because he told me something I hadn't heard before. His family lives a few miles from Shannon, and his mother told him that on the 11th, all those stranded at the Shannon airport from flights that weren't able to go to the U.S. were brought to the city and the nearby towns. He said that two Americans stayed with his mother. He mentioned this casually, merely to prove a point he was making, which was that New York wasn't attacked on 9/11, the U.S. wasn't attacked, the whole world, he insisted, was attacked.

--
  Steven Cherry   +1 212 419 7566   <s.cherry () ieee org>
  Senior Associate Editor, IEEE Spectrum, New York, NY

 "The theory of a free press is that truth will emerge from
  free discussion, not that it will be presented perfectly
  and instantly in any one account."   Walter Lippman

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/