Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re -- Nimda E Windows Virus -- a different problem entirely

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:11:41 -0500

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:45:13 -0800
From: "Howard Morgan" <howard () idealab com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave:

This is the response of our sysadmin at idealab! on NIMDA-E.  It's the
responsible sysadmin view of things.  His last sentence is the key issue
- getting sysadmins to keep on top of patches - i.e. using the
intelligence information about current attacks and remedies. Just what
we're going through in the rest of society.  Yes, we should build more
secure systems, but we should push much harder to have as many people as
possible trained in how to quickly plug the holes when they are found.

howard