Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: ANTHRAX impact on e-commerce

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 03:29:32 -0400

To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: [Fwd: [ecommerce-discuss] ANTHRAX impact on e-commerce]

Dave, thought the readers might be interested in this. The bit about
talcum power got to me.  Definitely some good thinking going on.

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin  phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec  fax:   (819) 827-4398
J9B 1N1                 e-mail:synthesis () videotron ca

www.interactiveweek.com  Oct 22 Interactive Week has articles relevant to the
impact of ANTHRAX in the mail on rethinking how companies manage what they
ship how.

Talcum Powder is commonly used to keep mail such as catalogs from sticking
together.  We need to find a new way that does not involved powder that could
lead to a false alarm.

Christmas & other Gift seasons & birthday presents typically arrange surprise
oddly wrapped packages that the recipients were not expecting.

Think more in terms of gift certificates this Christmas season.

Think internet sites in which people in cities A B C D E who want to give
gifts to people in city X
enter city X as a limiting factor for what the gift recipient can get in that
city.
So the gift certificate is the surprise, then the recipient arranges with
whatever outlet in that city for the delivery

This is a change in how we handle package delivery thanks to the ANTHRAX
scare.

Bad news means record traffic for news web sites

New CNN record was 337 million page impressions Sep 12
prior record was 1/2 that during Nov 2000 Presidential election.

Newspapers in major cities of terrorist attacks have seen doubling of site
traffic with nearly 1/3 of those audiences from outside USA

Would it be in bad taste for advertisers at these sites to offer promotional
items that would include on CD-Rom some FAQ about ANTHRAX?

e-learning business is also picking up

MacWheel99 () aol com (Alister Wm Macintyre) (Al Mac)

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/