Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "we closed our societies, ... to freedom and knowledge"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 05:29:51 -0400

From: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () matrix net>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: "John S. Quarterman" <jsq () matrix net>
Subject: Re: IP: "we closed our societies, ... to freedom and knowledge"
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:08:05 -0500
Sender: jsq () matrix net

>>>Don't we remember what their kind did before that, in Egypt and other
>>>places? Even in the Sudan, the land of tolerance, they carried out a mass
>>>slaughter of worshipers in a mosque, [an act] unprecedented except for the
>>>crime of the Cave of the Patriarchs committed by a Jewish extremist. If
>>>among us there is anyone who hates the Arabs, the Muslims, their culture,
>>>and their way of life so much that he wants to carry out barbaric mass
>>>slaughter, is it any wonder that the Christian hates us and sees us as
>>>barbarians like the [Tatar] Hulagu, [who fight] Western civilization.

Hulagu wasn't just some random Tatar.  He was a grandson of Genghis Khan,
and was sent by his brother Mangu, the Great Khan, to put down a revolt
in Persia.  He did that, and then demolished Baghdad in 1258 and killed
the Abbasid Caliph.  Hulagu proceeded to capture Aleppo and Damascus.
Part of his army was heading for Egypt when it was finally stopped
by the Mameluke Sultun Qutuz at the Battle of Ayn Jalut in Palestine
on 3 September 1260.

The fall of Baghdad was a shock to the Muslim world such as the fall of
Constantinople would be to the west.  The battle of Ayn Jalut was as
significant to the Moslem world as the Battle of Poitiers had been in
stopping the Moslem advance into Europe.

Most Muslim intellectuals would know these things; the mere mention of the
name Hulagu would bring them to mind without need for further elaboration.
The author is thus making a most economical and unflattering comparison.

-jsq

PS: Constantinople was at this time held by Latin Christians who had taken
it in 1204, but the Byzantine Greeks got it back in 1261.  Qutuz was
aided by Crusaders in 1260 (some of whom may have remembered Mongols
at the gates of Vienna in 1241, and all of whom knew the Mongols had
just invaded Poland), there were Armenian Christians in Hulagu's army,
and Hulagu was distracted and not even present at Ain Jalut because his
brother the great Khan had died in 1259 causing a succession struggle (the
same reason the Mongols withdrew from Vienna when Genghiz died).  Also,
Hulagu later converted to Islam, not to mention that his reign brought
increased trade and some other benefits.  However, none of that affects
the legendary stature of the fall of Baghdad and the Battle of Ayn Jalut.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/