Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Already, Loss of Civil Rights

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:35:51 -0400

Sender: bhunsake () usa alcatel com
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:56:08 -0400
From: Brent Hunsaker <brent.hunsaker () alcatel com>

Dave,

Since Sept. 11th I have read many comments here on IP regarding the
suspension of civil rights in order to protect us . I want to detail an
incident that happened to my Fiancee when I took her to the airport so
she can travel to SLC, Ut. to interview for a job with a law firm there.

As everyone knows only ticketed passenger can now proceed through the
security check point into the gate area. My fiancee detailed for me an
incident that happened to her as she passed through the Raleigh airport
security. When she went through the metal detector she was waved into
the physical search line even though she did NOT set off the detector.
When she got to the male that was doing the physical search he did not
wand her but began to physically search her. At one point, without
asking, he reached into her business jacket and started to feel the
lining of her jacket. His hand was brushing up against her breast. As
the back of his hand came to rest on her breast she commented to him
that "if it would help, she was not wearing a bra so there was no
underwire to set off the metal detector." Without comment he finished
the search and sent her on her way.

She commented to me that if he had asked to search her jacket she would
have removed it for him to do so. She had thought that if a physical
body search was to be done that a woman would search a woman. That it
would be done in privacy and not in public. She was humiliated in front
of a lot of people that day.

She has had a security clearance before and stated such inappropriate
behavior was not tolerated at the facility she had worked. That it was
not necessary to subject people to such degrading treatment to provide
quality security measures.

The suspension of civil rights have already begun in the name of
protection from terrorists. It will only get worse. It is not necessary,
but it will happen.

Brent Hunsaker

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/