Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Memo to America: Get a grip!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:44:27 -0400

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Subject: Memo to America: Get a grip!

Memo to America: Get a grip!

Led by the neurotic teeth-chattering classes, once-brave Americans
are in danger of becoming Cipro-hoarding, gas-mask-buying wimps.

By Laura Miller
Oct. 20, 2001

New York -- I'm not the type to love a place just because I happened
to have been born there, but I've always wanted, at the very least,
to respect America, and mostly I have. If our nation hasn't always
lived up to the ideals it trumpets, I believe that we get closer
every year because the majority of us are committed to making this
experiment work. What I've never questioned is America's know-how,
resilience and fortitude -- our gumption -- even when I've had my
doubts about how we use it.

That is, I hadn't questioned our gumption, until about two weeks ago.

In the days following the body blow of Sept. 11, my faith in our
nation's ability to behave with grace under pressure seemed to be
borne out. It wasn't just the firefighters and police officers; it
was the volunteer rescue workers, the people standing in line for
four hours to give blood at the hospital on my block, the citizens
from other states who got in their cars and drove day and night to
reach us here in New York so they could offer their help in any way.
The corresponding slogans -- "United We Stand," etc. -- were cheesy,
but they didn't seem outright delusional.

All it took to explode that dream were a couple dozen contaminated
letters. Now, doctors are besieged with requests for Cipro
prescriptions by patients who have no reason to think they've been
exposed to anthrax. The government is planning to blow a huge chunk
of the public health budget on this probably unnecessary drug. The
House of Representatives closed up shop in a paroxysm of what the
media politely called "jitters" -- the New York Post was alone in
calling them "wimps" -- after Senate majority leader Tom Daschle's
office received an anthrax-laced letter.

Columnists like the New York Times' Maureen Dowd and the Washington
Post's Sally Quinn write of frenzy among the chattering classes (make
that the teeth-chattering classes), leading to runs on gas masks,
canned goods and of course, more Cipro. Paranoid Americans who think
they've been exposed to bioterror are threatening to cripple the
healthcare infrastructure that would be our first line of defense in
the event of a serious attack. The thin, high whine of panic is in
the air.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/10/20/paranoia/index.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/