Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Cutting through hype, spin, and propaganda - "Fact Squad Radio"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 14:58:36 -0400

[ I am a member of their Board djf]

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:49:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

Greetings.  As you know, the main purpose of People For Internet
Responsibility's new "Fact Squad" effort is to cut through hype, spin,
misinformation, and propaganda regarding technological issues and their
effects upon society.  A crucial aspect of this is to avoid only "preaching
to the choir" -- that is, it's important to get the word out beyond the
normal scope of already interested folks who (for example) already subscribe
to mailing lists such as yours and ours.

In furtherance of this goal, we're pleased to announce the launching of the
"Fact Squad Radio" service.  Fact Squad Radio is providing very
short (one minute), tightly-focused audio features, each concentrating on
a single relevant topic of importance.  These vignettes are aimed at
explaining the issues briefly in a non-technical manner suitable for
general audiences.  Topics to be covered will include both matters of
long-standing importance and crucial issues of the moment.

We encourage linking and redistribution of these features, and they are
freely distributable without any further permission being needed for
non-broadcast, non-commercial usage.  Requests for other kinds of usage will
be considered on a case-by-case basis.  We'll be ramping up towards a five
per week, M-F schedule.  All segments are in the standard MP3 format.

The debut Fact Squad Radio feature concerns a topic of some significant
interest right now -- National ID Cards.

Fact Squad Radio is at:

   http://www.factsquad.org/radio

Thanks very much!

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/