Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Canada Overrides Patent for Cipro to Treat Anthrax

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:53:24 -0400

[ I hope we don't need the drugs but the fact our government refuses to order cheap generics bothers me. I hope Bayer does not contribute to any election pots. djf]

Canada, taking an unusual step that the United States has resisted, said yesterday that it had overridden Bayer's patent for Cipro, an antibiotic to treat anthrax, and ordered a million tablets of a generic version from a Canadian company.

"These are extraordinary and unusual times," said Paige Raymond Kovach, a spokeswoman for Health Canada. "Canadians expect and demand that their government will take all steps necessary to protect their health and safety."

But Cipro's manufacturer, Bayer A.G. (news/quote), condemned the move and said it could meet the demand for Cipro on its own.

The White House said it was unmoved by Canada's action and was not considering breaking Bayer's patent. "We don't feel there's a need to lift the patent at this time," said Anthony T. Jewell, a spokesman at the Department of Health and Human Services. "Multiple drugs can be used to treat anthrax, and Bayer has assured us that it can meet our demand for Cipro

<snip>

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/19/business/19CANA.html

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/