Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Big fans, insufficient wind

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 06:04:58 -0400

I am a Tivo fan -- built into my Directv box. Great. Tivos business attitudes are weird
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note: I don't have one of these boxes, as they don't support the Motorola 4DTV satellite receiver that I use. However, I have a number of friends who do use PVR's. As this piece indicates they are starting to show up in various new ways and with new features. Take a look at the Replay 4000 <http://www.replaytv.com/> which has an Ethernet connection and TCP/IP support which can exchange video content with other similar units over the Net. DLH]

              October 11, 2001

Big fans, insufficient wind
By <>Rafe Needleman

Of the many people I know who have TiVo boxes, not one has a negative or even lukewarm opinion of the service. They are all rabid fans.

Yet neither TiVo, nor ReplayTV, nor Microsoft's UltimateTV, are financial winners. ReplayTV didn't even make it as an independent company, getting acquired by SonicBlue in August.

The problem is not the devices, which are great -- it's the business. Selling these things to consumers is an uphill battle without strong and declared support from the people who actually make the most money from television: the networks, broadcasters, and cable companies.

This is changing, as both TiVo and Microsoft have products that put their technologies inside DirecTV (satellite) tuners. ReplayTV has formed a relationship with cable box maker General Instruments (GI; now Motorola's broadband communication division). There's also a quiet company, Metabyte Networks, that's eschewed the consumer market all along, but that does have a deal with another cable box maker, Scientific-Atlanta. GI and Scientific-Atlanta serve the cable companies directly, and thus it's likely that these products will start to include broadcaster-friendly features -- like targeted advertising -- that would be difficult to roll out in products designed as stand-alone boxes to be sold to consumers at retail.

- <mailto:rafe-needleman () redherring com>Rafe Needleman

Source:  Red Herring

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/