Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on GOVNET

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:21:32 -0400

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:16:48 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Ari Ollikainen <Ari () olteco com>
Subject: More on GOVNET

GOVNET Aims to Protect Critical IT Functions From Attacks
By Roy Mark
http://dc.internet.com/news/article/0,1934,2101_900961,00.html

At the request of the President George W. Bush's Cyberspace
Security Advisor, the U.S. General Services Administration
has released a Request for Information (RFI) to the U.S.
telecommunications industry seeking information and suggestions
for the development of a special telecommunications network.

A key feature of this network, called GOVNET, is that it must
be able to perform its functions with no risk of penetration or
disruption from users on other networks, such as the Internet.
GOVNET is planned to be a private voice and data network
based on the Internet Protocol (IP), but with no connectivity
with commercial or public networks.

"Planning for this network has been going on for several months,"
said Richard Clarke, Special Advisor to the President for Cyberspace
Security. "Since there is a very significant body of telecommunications engineering and acquisition expertise at the GSA Federal Technology
Service, I have asked GSA Administrator Steve Perry, for his support.
We need the combination of skills GSA has to establish this network
quickly."

Clarke said that next steps for this effort would be based on the
results of the input from industry.

"We are pleased to offer our support for this important endeavor, the safeguarding of critical government functions," said Perry. "We
look forward to working with industry to develop services for our
customers that affords them the assurance of protection for their
critical assets."

A copy of the RFI can be found at http://www.fts.gsa.gov/govnet/govnet.doc. Responses to the RFI are due Nov. 21.

October 10, 2001
  You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination is out of focus.
                                                          -- Mark Twain.

        OLTECO                    Ari Ollikainen
        P.O. BOX 20088            Networking Architecture and Technology
        Stanford, CA              Ari () OLTECO com
        94309-0088                415.517.3519

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/