Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Two letters from Australia worth reading -- Behind the USA Patriot Act

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 20:57:56 -0500

Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:11:35 +1100
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: IP: Behind the USA Patriot Act

Hi Dave

The top bit, if you consider it worthy. What the heck, may as well put it all in, including the earlier stuff; in for a penny, in for a pound my nanna used to say. I'm already under surveillance, so what will this hurt?

Perhaps you could repost the salient parts from the transcript I sent to you, or the story link for those who need a refresher?

IP: Liberty and safety in conflict
http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200109/msg00020.html
"The enabling of retro-active ethics generated by these enormous files of information are just dangerous, dangerous to a free society," Farber says of the accumulation of private details in huge databases. "Because some day you could run into a person who knew how to use them: a government, a demagogue."
http://it.mycareer.com.au/news/2001/09/04/FFXNO24V0RC.html

Dan's comments, less than two weeks before the attacks, seem prescient now that I look at them.

"My deepest worry is citizens have actually concluded they're willing to sacrifice their liberty for this illusion of safety."

Guess he was right.

cheers

Nathan