Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Calls for a new draft begin...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:48:11 -0500

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33724-2001Nov3.html

President Bush has said that the new war against terrorism will be "a different kind of conflict." He's more right than he knows. Not only are we facing a uniquely shadowy enemy, one committed to inflicting mass civilian casualties on U.S. soil, but for the first time in our history we're entering a war of significant size and probable duration without drafting young men to fight the threat.

This will have to change.America needs a draft. But because this is a new kind of war, we need a new kind of draft: One that would focus less on preparing men for conventional combat -- which hasn't been very extensive in this war so far -- than on training young men and even young women for the arguably more daunting task of guarding against and responding to terrorism at home

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/