Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: PRAVDA can see the disaster of the PATRIOT Act?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 15:16:44 -0500

What Paul says is usually right on djf

From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
CC: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>

 Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 23:21:05 -0500

>> http://english.pravda.ru/main/2001/11/01/19832.html
>>
>> THE TREE OF FREEDOM HAS FADED FOREVER

----------(snip)-----------

While we should all read Mr. Litvinovich's comments carefully,
he repeats mistake that generations of his predecessors at Pravda made
before the fall of the Berlin Wall -- underestimating the resilience and
adaptability of our Democratic system.

The US has an unhappy history of short-term overreaction to threats (just
ask the Japanese-Americans interned in WWII), BUT in the long-term, we have
always renounced those excesses and continued to nurture and extend our
freedoms.  My forecast is that the worse the short-term stupidities are his
time, the more robust the positive long-term reaction will be.
-p

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/