Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re Americans support civil liberties cutbacks - some suggest torture

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:39:14 -0500

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:31:12 -0600
From: Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 () home com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Americans support civil liberties cutbacks - some suggest torture

Why am I not surprised? Might some of this support for civil-liberties curtailment be because of the generally uncritical attitude taken toward it by the mass media where the vast majority of the American people get their news? In order to follow this civil liberties issue until a couple of weeks ago, you pretty much had to look for it on the internet. It was only when conservative William Safire of the New York Times came out publicly against these actions that the liberals in our so-called liberal-dominated media felt safe enough to do likewise.

Will the hearings before the Judiciary Committee be televised? It would take several weeks of this, IMHO, to put the issue on something approximating an equal footing. We can only hope that those who must lead the opposition to civil-liberties erosion are not going to let themselves be deterred by polls under such conditions.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/