Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: watchdog group listing government information removed frompublic access

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:55:08 -0500

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:38:42 -0500
From: "William Friedman" <FRIEDMAN () law duke edu>

For IP--On Friday I contacted the USGS in Washington to obtain a topo
map of my own property.  I sought to use a computer-based kiosk that
prints maps on the spot that I had used previously at a USGS satellite
office.  I was told the kiosk is no longer available to the public, "in
part" because of September 11.

I went to LL Bean (on Friday after Thanksgiving), and used the kiosk
bearing both a National Geographic and USGS logo, to obtain the same
map.  I don't know which scared me more: the government's refusal to let
me use its kiosk or the shoppers on Friday.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/