Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Rule of law

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:08:57 -0500

From: Bosley_J <Bosley_J () bls gov>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: RE: Rule of law
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:04:36 -0500

I work for one of the country's major polling organizations (a public
agency), in their office of survey methods research. This kind of poll has
been referred to by Norman Bradburn, a leading polling researcher, as
"SLOP," an acronym for "Self-seLected Opinions Poll." In other words, it's
no more representative of broad American opinion than a poll of, say,
fundamentalist Christians would be of attitudes toward school prayer. All it
shows is that over twice as many yahoos chose to click on the survey form as
did civilized folks.

John Bosley