Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The new pro-war liberalism

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 07:44:11 -0500

Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 02:06:38 -0800
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

I tend to agree with this view that the Bush Administration's military action against the Taliban is appropriate and has worked well, while their domestic attacks masked as Sept 11th security actions against civil rights and the environment is very disturbing.

"The North Vietnamese never bombed American cities"

Progressive congressman Barney Frank talks about why he supports the
war, opposes Bush's attack on civil liberties and thinks Clinton's
military legacy is just fine.

                            - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            By David Talbot

Nov. 22, 2001 | Ever since the Vietnam War, the American left has
tended to be pacifistic and deeply suspicious of overseas military
expeditions. An entire generation of liberals grew to equate B-52
airstrikes with blood-and-iron imperialism. Think the Empire's
towering killing machines mowing down the helpless Ewoks in "Return of
the Jedi." Even when times changed and U.S. firepower was used for
heroic purposes -- such as the Clinton administration's air assault
against the genocidal Milosevic regime in the Balkans -- many on the
left (and the right, for that matter) remained stuck in the past,
convinced that the bombing was part of an imperialist power grab or
that America was headed toward another Apocalypse Now.

It's a political version of post-traumatic stress syndrome, and
considering the epic horror of Vietnam, it was understandable. But a
quarter century later, we face a world that has its own new
nightmares. Since Sept. 11, the Vietnam generation has been forced to
reassess its views of American military might and most, like the
Afghan people cheering in the streets of Kabul and Mazar-e-Sharif,
have come to see the U.S. war machine more as a liberator than an
oppressor.

While Berkeley congresswoman Barbara Lee received massive media
coverage for casting the sole vote against President Bush's war
resolution, the more representative voices of the Vietnam generation
belong to political leaders like John Kerry in the Senate and Barney
Frank in the House of Representatives. Rep. Frank, D-Mass., who has
served in Congress for over 20 years, has staked out a strong pro-war
position, while simultaneously lashing into the Bush administration
for trampling on civil liberties in its anti-terror drive (joining
other critics like conservative congressional leader Bob Barr) and
calling on the president to help secure peace abroad by rebuilding
Afghanistan and aggressively pursuing a Mideast settlement. Salon
spoke with Frank by phone in his Capitol Hill office on the eve of the
Thanksgiving holiday.

What do you say to your friends on the left who attack the
U.S. military campaign in Afghanistan and compare it to the Vietnam
War?

Well, first of all, the North Vietnamese never bombed American
cities. Some antiwar critics have accused me of voting for the Gulf of
Tonkin resolution all over again when I voted for Bush's war
resolution. But the World Trade Center was actually bombed. Those Navy
ships in Vietnam probably never were.

Secondly, we backed the wrong horse in Vietnam. Osama bin Laden is no
Ho Chi Minh, who actually had the support of many Vietnamese. Bin
Laden brought his war to Afghanistan and he's not even an Afghan! He's
wildly unpopular there. If I had lived in Vietnam, I would not have
wanted to live under a communist regime. But the fact is Ho's
government was very popular there.

Osama bin Laden has no humane values. He's a mass murderer who
happens, unfortunately, to be very skillful at it. And you'd have to
more noxious regime than the Taliban. So I think there's a moral as
well as pragmatic case for our war against bin Laden and the Taliban
that was lacking in Vietnam.

You hear people say that since Sept. 11 Americans have lost their
innocence. But I think it's more profound than that. I think we've
lost our sense of guilt, which we've had ever since Vietnam. The
left-wing critics of the war in Afghanistan represent a tiny slice of
the population. American people across the political spectrum
overwhelmingly support the war, because they know it is overwhelmingly
just.

What about the antiwar claim that civilian casualties in Afghanistan
undermine the moral legitimacy of the U.S. campaign?

Any time you go to war, civilians suffer. There were civilian
casualties in World War II as well -- in Germany, Italy and
Japan. Civilians died during Sherman's march to the sea. You have a
moral obligation to minimize these casualties, and I think the
U.S. military in Afghanistan has gone to great lengths to do this. In
fact, [Defense Secretary Donald] Rumsfeld was criticized in some
circles for holding back our military.

Some antiwar critics have been clamoring for a ground war, saying
there would be fewer civilian deaths. But ground troops kill innocent
people too, it's a fact of war. War is not like "The Lone Ranger"
where the good guy shoots the gun out of the bad guy's hand and that's
the end of it. Because civilians inevitably suffer in wars, you have a
moral obligation to make sure that going to war is the last
alternative. But with bin Laden, this clearly was the only option. If
we had not responded militarily, bin Laden would have struck again and
many more innocent people would have died.

Now that our military strategy in Afghanistan seems to be meeting with
stunning success, some in the Bush administration, like Deputy Defense
Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and National Security Advisor Condoleezza
Rice have been suggesting that Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq may be
our next target. Do you think the U.S. should extend its military
operation into other parts of the Islamic world?

We might very well find that Saddam is guilty of sponsoring terrorism
against the U.S. But before we think about extending the war, we've
got to make sure that the people of Afghanistan have food and
shelter. We did that in Europe after World War II with the Marshall
Plan, and even General [Douglas] MacArthur -- who was no liberal
paragon -- did a fine job of overseeing the reconstruction of
Japan. We need to earn the right to extend the war by rebuilding
Afghanistan first.

It's not only the right thing to do, but it is politically vital. By
helping Afghanistan, we will send a message to the rest of the Muslim
world that we weren't just concerned about avenging American deaths
and screw everyone else, but we want to leave that country in a much
better place than it was before we intervened.

<snip>

--
Robert J. Berger
UltraDevices, Inc.