Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: interesting query -- Re: Microsoft proposed settlement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:41:50 -0500

From: "Steve Wolfe" <sdw () codon com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

> >It's hard to argue against helping low-income kids in underfunded
> >schools, but this seems a bit self-serving.  Sure, the schools will get
> >equipment and software, Microsoft Software.  And they will train kids
> >to use Microsoft Software, and later, when it comes time to be in the
> >job market, there will be a new workforce trained to use Microsoft
> >Software with a mindeset that equates computer to Microsoft.

  What strikes me as even more self-serving is the fact that Microsoft
does not appear to have any obligation to upgrade the computers in a few
years when they declare current operating systems as "unsupported".  So,
in three, five, maybe seven years, those schools will be forced to pay a
LOT of money to upgrade.  So, let's see how this works:

  Microsoft gives away software that they deem to be worth what, a billion
dollars?  Actual cost to them would be a few hundred thousand dollars to
stamp out the CD's - assuming they don't just give one CD to each school,
and a stack of licenses.  Over the next decade the schools, through
upgrades, will likely pay around a half of a billion dollars back to
Microsoft.

   So, for a few hundred grand now, they make $500 million over a decade.
So, I'm a little unclear, how exactly does this hurt Microsoft?

steve

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/