Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: GPRS, etc...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:40:46 -0500

From: "Alan A. Reiter" <reiter () wirelessinternet com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: GPRS, etc...
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 19:25:59 -0500

Sierra Wireless will be making PC Cards for GSM/GPRS and for CDMA 1xRTT.
Sierra Wireless is a good company (I am in no way affiliated with them) and
they build good quality wireless data products.  Other companies also will
make PC Cards.

The network operators have been misleading the public about wireless data
speeds and capabilities, and many continue to issue press releases about
speeds being "up to" more than 100K bps, which is not happening in any
commercial system.  GPRS is typically 10K/20K upstream from the phone and
30K/40K bps downstream from the network to the phone, assuming you are using
a good network in Europe.

CDMA 1xRTT looks much better, and it's possible that consumers will
experience 40K - 60K bps.

The network operators also have been emphasizing handsets rather than PC
Cards because handsets are mass market devices and that's what the operators
are going after.  However, for people to be satisfied with anything close to
a "wireless Internet" experience, the cellular carriers are going to have to
promote the use of PC Cards with notebook computers and PDAs rather than the
over-emphasis on handsets.

Alan Reiter

Alan A. Reiter, president
Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing