Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Soliciting ideas to fight terrorism is right approach by Dan Gilmor

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:07:18 -0500

The Pentagon is ``looking high and low for good ideas to combat terrorism.'' Good idea. On the DefenseLink Web site (www.defenselink.mil), the public face of the U.S. military, you'll find a link to a request for ``Your Ideas to Counter Terrorism.'' It's on the lower right-hand side of the page. Assuming someone at the Defense Department actually reads every suggestion, and that others are willing to act on smart initiatives that didn't originate within the military, this site is potentially a valuable piece of our response to modern threats. The military and law enforcement are, almost by definition, centralized entities. But they're facing a decentralized opponent in a kind of combat known as ``asymmetrical warfare'' -- where one side is big and powerful by traditional measures, but vulnerable to massive damage in an age where one individual or small group can leverage technology in horrific ways. There's growing recognition of the value in decentralizing people and data at a time when big, centralized operations may be targets. But we need to find ways to use technology in another way, to bring the nation's collective energy and brainpower to bear on the threat. As Sun Microsystems' Bill Joy has said so memorably, the smartest people don't work for any one organization. Tapping the power of everyone is the way to accomplish things -- and technology is giving us the ability to do more of that. The Pentagon's Web site, more of a national suggestion box than anything, is a start. But it's only that. I hope people from the military and law-enforcement, not to mention the diplomatic and public-health communities, are logging into a variety of online chat rooms and discussion boards where smart (OK, also not-so-smart) people are discussing the situation. I'm not expert enough on such things to know how valid their ideas are, but I almost always learn something when I visit tech-related boards, even though I have to sort through plenty of dross to find the valuable stuff. John Robb, who served in the U.S. Air Force special operations unit and is now president and chief operating officer at Silicon Valley-based UserLand Software, has been thinking about asymmetry and its consequences. I asked him how we could use the power at the edges of networks and society to counteract the bad guys. Among his suggestions: ``Build a feedback loop'' that greatly expands on the Pentagon's suggestion box but also narrows down the individual questions. ``Marshall McLuhan first proposed this (and I believe it): For any problem there is a person or persons in a large population of educated people that don't see it as a problem,'' Robb wrote in an e-mail. ``We need a feedback loop that can filter up knowledge and insight. For example: If you have seen a loophole in airport security and have a solution as to how to correct it, there should be a mechanism for getting that information to the people that can make the change.'' Note the direction of the information, from the bottom to the top -- or, as I prefer to see it, from the edge to the middle. An extension of the feedback loop, Robb said, is to create much more targeted ``knowledge networks'' tapping into specific pools of information. ``Our foreign service and military units don't have enough Pushtu speakers,'' he wrote, referring to one of Afghanistan's dominant languages. ``However, I am sure we have tens of thousands living in the U.S. right now. Why not tap them for expertise in real-time?'' How? By giving soldiers satellite phones they can use to call Pushtu speakers who could serve as translators. The public-health world could take smart advantage of these kinds of techniques. Bioterrorism, in fact, may absolutely require them. Ronald E. LaPorte, a public-health expert at the University of Pittsburgh, has proposed an ``Internet civil defense'' using the power of networks to help neighbors watch out for each other. It would operate along similar lines as the ad-hoc software virus protection system, he told USA Today last month, where people find the virus and others find ways to combat it. Would such a system work? Who knows? But the Lancet medical journal, which has extremely high standards, thought enough of the idea to publish an article co-authored by LaPorte. In other words, it's worth looking into. When the stakes are this high, and the threat this different, we should be looking for the best ideas wherever they originate. I'm betting that the center won't hold if we waste the power at the edges. Do you have ideas along these lines? Please come to my online discussion forum. Your ideas are, no doubt, better than mine. But that's the whole point. We need to think about this together.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/