Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: XCOR Aerospace - world's first private rocket-plane flies at Mojave!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:08:12 -0500

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:36:10 -0800
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
From: "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp () jcphome com>
Subject: XCOR Aerospace - world's first private rocket-plane flies at
  Mojave!

I attended the rollout of the XCOR EZ-Rocket yesterday in Mojave, CA. The EZ-Rocket is a demonstrator testbed aircraft powered entirely by XCOR's 400lb thrust liquid fueled rocket engines which the company has developed for air and space vehicle applications using private funding (um, that's my part...)

XCOR is a 10 person company in Mojave that's building rocket powered air and space craft as a startup. I'm their first investor and a member of the Board of Directors. I'm pretty proud of these guys for getting this entire vehicle built and flown for around $400K. (We call this Cheaper, Better, Faster *and* Right Now...)

I figure some persons on IP might be interested in this stuff as a change from the 3 A's: Afghanistan, Anthrax and Ashcroft....

A short video story that appeared on KABC Channel 7 Los Angeles yesterday (and was relayed on FOX today apparently):

PC Users:
http://www.xcor.com/video/ezrollout_ch7ABC.wmv
Macintosh Users:
http://www.xcor.com/video/ezrollout_ch7ABC.mov

Some other print stories:

The LA Daily news article:
http://www.dailynews.com/business/articles/1101/13/biz07.asp
Also the full AP article:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011112/bs/rocket_plane_1.html
Photos from AP are here:
http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news_photos?n=20&p=xcor

Company website is at www.xcor.com

Joseph C. Pistritto                             Cell: 650 464 4859
jcp () jcphome com                             Web: www.jcphome.com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/