Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: from a street kid: Today's Plane Crash in New York

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:04:02 -0500

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:50:20 -0500
From: "Fred C. Smith III" <fcsmith3 () ix netcom com>

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Today's Plane Crash in New York

Dear Dave ...

I live and work in New York, and have been watching the local, national
and international coverage of today's crash with great interest.
Several things are being said by the "talking heads" on the national
full time news networks, that are deserving of comment.

Bear in mind that this is my personal opinion.  Admittedly, I speak from
a street perspective, but, nevertheless, believe that my feeling in
these matters are pretty typical among the residents here.

I was born in Queens directly under the approach air corridors for
LaGuardia airport.  We lived about three miles from the end of the main
runway.  I remember having to cease talking to the person next to me
because of the noise generated by a plane overhead, either landing or
taking off.

The threat of one of these fuel laden flying bombs coming down on top of
your house was always there.  But ... you chose to live there ... you
dealt with it!  No big deal.  It wasn't like living in constant fear,
casting your eyes skyward every time the whine of Pratt & Whitney's
finest was heard, expecting a rain of death from above.

C'mon ... let's get real here.

In addition, should this tragedy turn out to be terrorist caused, and
not a catastrophic mechanical failure, it will NOT deal a devastating,
demoralizing blow to the citizens of this city.

To put it bluntly, it will really piss us off!

New Yorkers are tough.  We don't like being pushed around, and we don't
run away from a fight.  If it turns out that our cave-dwelling friends
are indeed responsible for downing this aircraft in our city, it will
only harden our resolve to see these bums brought to justice.

And I remind you, the definition of justice, to a New Yorker, is
something that might be open to interpretation.

A lot of people here would like these skulking cowards to pack up every
piece of equipment they have, board a ship, and attempt a landing on the
beach at Coney Island.

My personal bet is that, within ten blocks of the water, they'd
disappear completely and nobody would ever hear from them again.

But ... that's just my opinion.

Whatever the cause of today's tragedy, New Yorkers will get through it,
and surprise the rest of the world with how compassionate and caring we
can be, while, at the same time, still being the nastiest kid on the
block.

Fred Smith
New York

For archives see: