Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Security, Fear, and National ID Cards

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:43:40 -0500

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 19:22:43 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steven Cherry <steven () panix com>
Subject: Security, Fear, and National ID Cards

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/special/sept01/idcards.html

Security, Fear, and National ID Cards
By Steven M. Cherry
posted 9 November 2001

In the first weeks after 11 September, with diverse figures calling for creation of a national identity card, New Yorkers recognized a need for greater personal identification. At the IEEE Spectrum editorial offices (about 5 km from Ground Zero, and two blocks from the now-tallest building in the city), building ID cards, previously optional, are now obligatory. In many offices, visitors are required to either be listed in advance by name (or sign a logbook), and produce a photo ID that matches the name.

Identification cards, though, are only as good as the systems for producing and using them. It soon became obvious that the building ID card I had to get a few days after the collapse of the twin towers wasn't being required. It seemed any photo-containing card would do. Even more disturbingly, at a local hospital, where I'm receiving therapy for a recent injury, it was, after four visits, becoming increasingly difficult to resist the suspicion that while one had to produce an ID card, it wasn't being examined, nor was it being compared with the name one signed to get in.

So I decided to put this new security to a test. Like every kid from Queens who started exploring the streets of Manhattan as an adolescent, I knew just where to go-the nameless storefronts of indeterminate businesses on the still slightly disreputable streets of Eighth Avenue, just north of the Port Authority bus terminal-in other words, Times Square, or what's left of it. I walked into the first place with a sign that said "Photo ID."

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/