Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Bin Laden's relatives made a first-class escape

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:21:43 -0500

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/11/09
/MN98865.DTL

Bin Laden's relatives made a first-class escape

Rob Morse

Friday, November 9, 2001

Even though I've spent some time with the rich and powerful, I'm still
naive about how small their world is. It came as a shock to me that
President Bush's family and Osama bin Laden's family have socialized with
each other and been involved in business ventures together.

It's like finding out that Lyndon Johnson's daddy and Ho Chi Minh's papa
used to go fishing together in the Gulf of Tonkin.

But we're not talking about fishing or poor boys from the backwoods of
Texas and Vietnam. We're talking about rich guys fishing for Saudi money,
and a defense-oriented investment firm called the Carlyle Group, which has
had many politically connected partners, including the elder George Bush.
Investors have included Osama bin Laden's family.

Since the attacks of Sept. 11, bin Laden's relatives withdrew their
investments in the Carlyle Group when "the prospect of President Bush's
father being in business with the half-brother of Osama bin Laden was
politically untenable," as reporter Jane Mayer put it in this week's issue
of the New Yorker magazine.

Mayer also reported that bin Laden's relatives in the United States were
allowed to leave the country after Sept. 11 without being interrogated or
detained.

The rich Saudis walked, and now poor Americans march. The sons of American
farmers and factory workers will be risking their lives looking for bin
Laden in caves all over Afghanistan.

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/