Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Interesting and useful (but a little scary) software program

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:11:24 -0500

From: PBradfield () aol com
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:05:18 EST
Subject: Interesting and useful  (but a little scary) software program
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dear Dave,

I was at a "First Tuesday" meeting in Washington DC this week and learned about a product called TextOre that gave me pause. From what I learned, TextOre can quickly search through text (of any language) and look for concepts and ideas (not just words) and locate them.

What gave me pause about it was that governments could use this product for good and for evil. (The emcee of the event said that his law firm had used TextOre to save them much money with Lexus/Nexus.) I asked the president of the company about a government such as China using it to track dissidents that are communicating on the Internet and he blinked and said, "We wouldn't sell it to them." yeah, right. But what about our own government??? I didn't ask him that question since he looked annoyed by my first question. Their web site is textore.net.

I am not trying to be paranoid. Just aware of what technology is bringing us.

There was another company (Aurora Biometrics) that had a pretty good facial recognition program that could be used for security access. It could tell the difference from a picture and a actual head. It worked fairly quickly. Aurora's product was selected as the "most likely to succeed" product shown that night (out of 10 presentations).

Just thought you might want to know.

Thanks for the IP updates.
Phil Bradfield, Ph. D.
VP - Tailored Lighting Inc.