Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: interview with Ted Postol (professor of science, technology, and national security policy at MIT)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 14:16:31 -0500

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:15:25 -0500
To: dave () farber net
From: Matthew Howard <howard () mit edu>

Dave,

Boston Review has a very interesting interview with Ted Postol (professor of science, technology, and national security policy at MIT) that touches on one these scenarios, in the context of why a missile defense system is really no security at all.

http://bostonreview.mit.edu/BR26.5/postol.html

The interview was conducted before September 11, but in an afterword Postol writes:

"The shoddy air security that made the attacks on the World Trade Center twin towers and the Pentagon possible are simply tragic examples of what can happen when the nation depends on defenses that can only work against adversaries who are assumed to be massively incompetent. The only good thing that we can hope for from these events is that it will now catalyze the nation to face the real threats to us.

"Depending on missile defenses that cannot deal with even simple predictable countermeasures will only repeat the tragic mistakes we have already made with our air security defense. In addition, proceeding with such missile defenses will take critically needed resources away from our national effort to solve the real problem that now confronts us. We need to instead commit the nation's highest caliber professionals, both military and civil, to the task of systematically identifying, analyzing, and responding to the threats made clear by the September 11 attacks.

"The evidence I have so far seen indicates that the Administration will use these tragic events to obtain full funding from the Congress for their ill-defined and ill-considered missile defense programs. However, I believe that the recent events will result in the average American becoming aware of the debate over missile defense and the trade-offs associated with missile defenses versus our society's real security needs. The net result I expect is that when most people become informed about the issues being debated they will have the common sense to focus on the real problems and to question the utility of missile defenses."

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/