Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Uranium on Ebay

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:35:15 -0400

[ Get you hot uranium today at EBay djf]

Hi Folks! Today I'm offering the opportunity of a lifetime to own a
mineral sample for which there is no equal. Offered is the largest known
piece of North Carolina Pitchblende, and possibly the largest Pitchblende
in private hands anywhere. Coming back from a collecting trip, I dropped
in on an Old Timer that I had befriended a while back. He told me to take
my counter, turn it on, and follow him to the barn. What I experienced
next was amazing! The counter started going nuts, and I finally traced it
to an area under some hay. The Old Timer smiled, and we proceded to pull
out a huge slab of Pitchblende: The sample is SOLID, and by my density
calculations should be about 80% pure by weight. The only thing that came
into my mind at seeing this wonder of nature is that it's a Godzilla of a
sample, so that's what we've named it. Weight is just under 70 pounds.
Actual Pitchblende content should be approximately 50 POUNDS. Size is
approx 12" by 10" by 5". The top surface of Godzilla is nearly all
Pitchblende interspersed with some Feldspar and a bit of Mica..  <snip>

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1143756944

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/