Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on park police surveillance in Philly, by Bernie S

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 05:41:34 -0400

Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:47:25 -0400
To: politech () politechbot com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

---
Photos of Independence Hall:
http://www.mccullagh.org/cgi-bin/photosearch.cgi?name=independence+hall
Philadelphia police at 2000 GOP convention:
http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/gop-convention-protests.html
---

Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:28:22 -0400
To: declan () well com
From: e cummings <bernies () netaxs com>
Subject: more perverse national park police surveillance

declan,

a couple of years ago i noticed a new, high-power, remote controlled (pan,
tilt, zoom) video surveillance camera hanging in the bell tower of
independence hall here in philadelphia.  it was a large Burle unit--like
those i remember seeing in the maximum-security federal prison i was held
in without bail in 1995 (for an offense the government later admitted in
writing involved "no victims.")  this particular high-power video camera
has a huge lens and the ability to zoom in on the smallest details--like
newspaper text--far outside the confines of the small independence
national park area it points out towards.

the perversity of such a camera being installed in the bell tower of
independence hall--a historical building in which our founding fathers
signed our constitution and risked their lives to revolt against a
government that failed to respect its subjects' privacy--was hard to
ignore.  from where liberty had once rung, now our federal government was
using sophisticated electronic surveillance technology to spy on its citizens.

i brought this ironic situation to the attention of a local newspaper
writer, gwen shaffer, who wrote a cover story about
it:  http://www.citypaper.net/articles/122498/coverstory.shtml  later that
week, some federal park police officers i spoke with were upset about the
public revelation of their new surveillance system, and claimed it would
impede the system's effectiveness at preventing crime (rape was the
example they gave.)  when i asked them how effective a deterrent it could
be if the system remained a secret, they became indignant.

shortly thereafter, black netting was placed over the bell tower opening,
making the camera very difficult to see.  then an identical camera was
added looking south.

-ed cummings
"CALEA's First Casualty"