Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Software Engineering, Dijkstra, and Hippocrates: [risks] Risks Digest 21.42

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 05:52:23 -0400

ate: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:58:35 -0500
From: "Michael L. Cook" <MLCook () collins rockwell com>
Subject: Software Engineering, Dijkstra, and Hippocrates

The March 2001 issue of the *Communications of the ACM* contains an
article by Edsger Dijkstra called "The End of Computing Science?"

In it, he states "I would therefore like to posit that computing's central
challenge 'How not to make a mess of it,' has *not* been met."

As many of the RISKS entries have shown, application and other developers
have certainly made a mess of things at times, often of Laurel and Hardy
proportions ("That's another fine mess you've got us into."), and worse.

If/when Software Engineering becomes a fully licensed profession, perhaps
part of the code of ethics should be similar to the intent of part of the
Hippocratic Oath, "First, do no harm".  This is a paraphrase of the statement
"The health and life of my patient will be my first consideration" which
is from the World Medical Association's "Declaration of Geneva" of 1948.

Or, as colleague Glen McCort once said in a meeting, "Don't do anything
really stupid."

Michael Cook

  [There is a big difference between Hippocrates and Hypocrites.
  In particularly, there are quite a few Hypocrites who claim they are
  "Software Engineers" but nonetheless write extremely riskful
software.  PGN]

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/